Re: It booted!

Jason H. Reeves wrote:
>         Anyway, when I boot, I see a message telling me that my ethernet
> interface has been detected, which looks like this:
>
> eth0: SONIC ethernet found at 0x50f0a000,  MAC 08:00:07:bc:e7:c3 IRQ 9
>
> Even though I get this, there's no /dev/eth0, which I thought odd.
> Also, /dev/MAKEDEV didn't seem to know how to make this particular
> device.

No such device exists in Linux. Try 'ifconfig eth0' and read the ifconfig
man
page.

>         The IP number assigned to this machine is a static one assigned
> only to this machine...I have double-checked this.  I am unable to ping
> (from the Mac) any machine either by hostname or IP number, and I am
> also unable to ping the Mac (at least when it's booted to Linux) either
> by hostname or IP number.

Using which kernel? The 2.0.36 kernel might detect and init the Sonic
without
crashing (I'm immensely impressed about that) but it can't apparently send
correct packets. I get received and transmitted packet counts that look
reasonable, there's no TCP errors logged but that's it. Try checking what
actually shows up on the wire using a network analyzer.