Re: Installing packages

Malcolm Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Use a 2.0 kernel to install packages.
>
> Actually, I was able to install the packages using a 2.1 kernel if I
> fooled the system into thinking that some stuff was already there.
> binutils was crashing because /man/man7/undocumented.7.gz was being
> pointed at (by gasp.1.gz) and it didn't exist.  Placing a file in
> /man/man7 called undoc(etc) made dpkg happy.

That may work for some packages, but it's a pretty ugly hack (the ownership
of file is changed, not the one of the symlink IIRC, which may or may
not be what you really want), browse the list archives for suggestions
how to automate this sick hack.

Again, the proper solution is to use a 2.0 kernel (or to upgrade to
Debian 2.1).