Re: installing xfree86

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Althaler und Oblasser wrote:
First, you are not trying to install xfree 3.3.3, do you? This is not yet
available as a debian package AFAIK.

> >I installed a basic XWindow (downloaded from Debian) using the "dpkg"
> >utility (although you have to edit the config file).
Which config file did you edit??? (huh, this was form somebody else...)

> what I meant was what FILES do i need for the debain xwindows stuff.
> these files Ive donwloaded an installed. but after startx the system hangs.
> is there somthing missing or is there somthing misconfigured.

> 1 xlib6g_3.3.2.3-1.deb
>
> 2 cpp_2.7.2.3-4.8.deb
> 3 libjpegg6a_6a-11.deb
> 4 libpng2_1.0.0-0.1.deb
> 5 libproplist0_0.7.1-4.deb
> 6 zlib1g_1.1.2-0.1.deb
> 7 libtiff3g_3.4beta037-4.deb
> 8 xpm4g_3.4j-0.6.deb
>
> 9 wmaker_0.14.1-71.deb
> 10 xserver-fbdev_3.3.2.3-1.deb
> 11 xbase_3.3.2.3-1.deb
> 12 xfntbase_3.3.2.3-2.deb

Is this all you have installed? I would wonder a little if your system would
run at all then. Things like libc6 are missing. AFAIR cpp should not be
needed for xfree. Are the packages picked randomly? Try to run dselect after
you have updated your Packages.gz, it should show you then what else you
need/should update and what the xfree stuff depends on. Doesnt it complain
when you install it? What hardware are you using, perhaps you only have to
edit your XF86config to enter correct video modes for your machine.
What do you mean by the system hangs? There is probably some output on the
screen. And its there to give some hints.

Sorry, no detailed description from me, I have a complete mirror at home and
install packages with dselect/apt, all dependencies are worked out properly
then usually, and if not, dselect tells me whats missing.

BTW a question for the pros:
Isnt it a (dependancy) problem that the fonts are -2.deb and base and
fbserver are -1.deb? The fonts (for hamm!) where installed on december 8th
on ftp.de.debian.org, I wonder why we never got a hint...

Ciao,
Christian.