Re: [linux-mac68k] RE: IRQ5 and PPP network activity

At 6:58 AM +0000 1999.01.09, El JoPe Magnifico wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Olson, Greger J. <gjolson@bpa.gov> wrote:
>> To: 'Debian-68k' <debian-68k@lists.debian.org>
>>
>Curiouser and curiouser, telnet seems to work so far without a hitch.
>(case in point, I'm running pine just fine remotely at the moment)
>Only FTP (haven't tried lynx yet) brings on the unclean reboot, and only
>when I actually start to transfer a file; login and maneuvering around
>the remote site works fine.  As such, it seems to me that something in
>binary transfers that's triggering the behavior.

   Couldn't it be simply high-volume transfers, irrespective of mode?  Try
a large ASCII file and see if it happens.

>Some special character not being escaped properly?  I say that because
>something keeps gnawing at me that it has to do with the fact the
>control-command-power reboot combo.  Curious: why in the default keymap
>is control-SHIFT-power (I assume character 127 is the power button)
>assigned as reboot then?

   Control-Command-Power is an ADB thing -- on the Q605 it goes straight to
the hardware and resets the machine.  You *can't* use it for anything else,
such as soft reboot.

>To answer your question on the LC475 having the same problem, Michael,
>my Quadra605 (effectively the same machine) is getting the exact same
>behavior and it doesn't have any unusual hardware, at least not add-on.
>Doesn't rule out something inherently weird in the model itself though.

   Funny you should think of that.  I've had a problem with my Performa 475
whereby on very rare occasions when downloading over PPP in Mac OS, it
drops into Macsbug with "NMI", but I haven't touched the keyboard (which
uses Command-Power to invoke Interrupt).  The current routine is _Egret.
If I enter 'g' (go, continue) then everything continues and works normally
as if nothing had happened.  Now I connect to the Internet from Linux on a
PC and the Mac is connected by ethernet (with IP masquerading) and I've
never had the problem with this setup.

>I noticed a patch someone put out on the linux-ppc the other day to
>ignore certain unexpected signals.  Might that have use here, barring
>discovery of where those signals are coming from?

   I'm no expert on this, but I think the bug is actually in the Mac's
hardware, though I suppose it could be in a ROM routine like _Egret or
_Jackson.  (On the rare occasions when I crash unexpectedly (i.e. not
including development), _Jackson is often involved.)

P.S. I have a job now!! =)

Josh

--
Joshua Juran                          Metamage Software Creations
=)                                         Tools for Wizards