Telnet loging problem (the same with appleshare)

I haver installed the network services to my mac VX with linux 2.0.3 and I can
login, FTP,appleshare :) if I log as any user EXCEPT as ROOT :-(

At the login prompt if try to log as root it says me "login incorrect" or "wrong
password".

The same happens when I try to mount a shared volume from chooser when I use
appletalk: I can mount with any user except root.

It is possible to log as root from remote terminals?

If possible, how can I log as root via telnet or via appleshare?

I need help to fix (if possible) this problem.

Thank you

AntonioP