grayscale X

Hye, I got X to launch on my quadra 630 running 2.1.120 #20. The one
problem is that, well, color is screwy, so I tried setting myu monitor to
grayscale before booting into linux, and then tried X, and it acted as
though it was still in rgb. what i mean is that the grays were not smooth,
but very jumpy. I remember on my NetBSD box (before I got Linux), the
grays were really nice. I was just wondering how I could tell X, or
wmaker, to use all of the shades of gray. thanks a lot.

-Gabriel