Re: Package add

Hi,

>> Why not use dpkg -i ?? That is, assuming he knows where the package is, having
>> it on CD or downloaded someplace.
>
>You don't have to worry about where the package is or if you
>downloaded it already. If the package is mentioned in one of the

I've never tried apt but heard that it's supposed to be a lot better than tinkering
with dselect (which it replaces, in part). The point was: what is the basic command
to install a package? That's dpkg, whether you use apt or not (apt is only a front
end for dpkg).
And dpkg is always available.

>> Is apt in stable?
>
>Aktually it seems that it didn't make it for stable. Its in slink now
>and not in project/experimental any more. Since the m68k version was
>lacking behind it got deleted from project/experimental but no nnew

Actually, I think it was never in hamm, nor was it intended for hamm. And that's
what counts for the average user. At least I think we were talking about a
newbie question here, and about the finally-stable stuff.

Following your advice, the poor user probably spent some time looking for apt
in dselect (not a pretty sight) with no chance finding it. Let's first try the
simple things, ok?

	Michael

'Keep it simple^H^H^H^H^H^Hstupid simple'