Re: fdisk problem and general errors with installation

"Eric H. Majzoub" <ehm@howdy.wustl.edu> writes:

> The installation worked for me, but I have some strange behaviour to
> report.  I installed debian from a spare 2Gig hard drive I had sitting in
> my working linux box at work, which is intel hardware.  The disk was
> originally partitioned into 3 primary partitions, hdb1,hdb2, and hdb3.

That would be a PC style Partitionblock? Its perfectly fine for Linux,
just the intall script doesn't like it. Better partition the drive
under AmigaOS and then stick it into the PC. (You need foreign
partition support in the kernel, then it works fine).

> All linux native partitions.  The partitions were roughly 1Gig, 500Meg,
> 500Meg, respectively.  I downloaded all the debian m68k files from the net
> onto hdb3, took the drive out, put it in my Amiga and went to work trying
> to install it onto the first two partitions.  I got linux to come up with:
>
> amiboot -k vmlinux -r root.bin root=/dev/ram/
>
> and started the install process, I ran fdisk on the drive and it came up
> with two partitions, both of type affs.  Yet I could still mount the
> partitions as type ext2 and look at and read them.  The installation

The Amigakernel knows about PC style partitions, the install probably
not. Since it didn't detect any useables partitions it tells you to
create some.

> process insisted that I partition the drive in order to continue, so I
> carefully partitioned it with fdisk, leaving the same cylinder count for
> the last partition which contained all the files.  Note:  this time I
> changed the sizes of the first two partitions, the drive should now have
> been,

That will install a Amiga RDB on the drive, so your PC style
partitions are lost (but not updated until reboot).

> hdb1.........150Meg
> hdb2.........1350Meg
> hdb3.........500Meg
>
> These changes were saved to the drive with the w command.
> If I now mount the partitions, they come up with the old sizes, 1Gig,
> 500M, 500M.  I don't know what this means.  Are there two different
> partition tables on this disk somehow?

As it says there on the screen, REBOOT.

> I was still able to finish the install process, I had a lot of problems
> with the packages and the package installer, but I think it's my
> unfamiliarity with the Debian distribution.  I installed X and had to
> configure most of it by hand, but it still doesn't work.  In particular
> when I try to start X, I get the message:

Configure X? Just install the thing and startx. If thats not working
something is wrong. If it works, you misconfigured something. :)

> Fatal Server Error:
> xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap framebuffer (Invalid Argument)
>
> Other than that it seems to try to start, it flashes all the usual
> information before the error message pops up.  Any ideas?
>
> Eric

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn