Re: Debian install on a IIsi not working

Hi,

>> 	What i'd tried to do is install the base.tgz on a zip drive off of
>> my linuxppc box.  This did work, but when i tried to use the penguin
>> booter and actually boot the IIsi off the zip drive during the boot i
>> recieved a rather unwelcomed "unconfigered.sh".  I did a little reading
>> and learned that i need to use the installer to "configure" my system. So
>> i tried that to no avail, i could not get the installer to fit on a pc
>> formatted disk, when i did uing linux, i couldn't get it to boot using
>> /dev/fd or /dev/fd0.

Some points to note here, just to make sure we're on the same page (Goswin
isn't a real Mac expert):

- the 'Installer' is a MacOS application designed to help people install the
good old watchtower stuff on a Mac, before keyboard input was supported by
the Mac kernels. It's early stone age by Mac Linux terms and not needed anymore
except on the most pathologic Mac models.
As MacOS app, the Installer won't be happy if you just copy it on a PC disk
without the right tools (hfsutils under Linux).

And for Debian, don't use the Installer at all.

- Linux doesn't support floppies on Mac. Thanks Apple for first implementing a
floppy controller partly in software, next building a hardware emulation of
that sick hack and last never releasing specs on it. It seems the BSD crowd has
a floppy driver now that could be ported to Linux, just as an aside ...

>> 	To sum things up, how do i "configure" the kernel without using
>> the installer?  If i can get the IIsi to boot off the zip drive i can then
>> untar the base.tgz onto the hd and reboot using that, then use dftp or
>> dpkg-ftp(forget what its called) to install the rest of the system.
>
>Try the following:
>
>Put the zip into your PC, get root.bin, base2_0.tgz, resc1440.bin,
>drv1440.bin onto the pc.

What PC? And if he's already got the files on the Mac, why not keep them there?
Linux can use HFS just fine for these simple tasks.

>mv root.bin root.bin.gz
>gunzip root.bin
>
>Partition the zip, so that you have space for the root.bin (and a few
>K extra for safety) and a partition of ~10 MB for the base2_0.tgz, the
>rescue and the drivers disk.
>
>dd if=root.bin of=/dev/<zip_partition_for_root.bin>

Just making the later Linux partitions and dumping root.bin to one of the
unused ones should be all it takes. No need to make an additional partition
to hold the install files. Plus partition using the Apple partition scheme and
use A/UX partitions for Linux.

Use the space for the swap partition, you'll need it badly with 5 MB RAM.

And keep in mind that the Apple partition scheme counts partition map and
'driver partition' as separate partitions; you'll have to be sure you know
where these are...