Re: bug report - amiga m68k

> > Just installed Debian on my amiga, after booting for the first time I
> > get :
> >
> > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

After ages it might gradually get to a login prompt, but you
get no further.

> > then the same thing every 5 minutes.  Is this a bug or does it
> > indicate a localised problem?
>
> I didn't saw this error before, but it is descriped in the manpage of init:
> DIAGNOSTICS
>        If  init finds that it is continuously respawning an entry
>        more than 10 times in 2 minutes, it will assume that there
>        is  an error in the command string, generate an error mes-
>        sage on the system console, and  refuse  to  respawn  this
>        entry  until either 5 minutes has elapsed or it receives a
>        signal.  This prevents it from eating up system  resources
>        when someone makes a typographical error in the /etc/init-
>        tab file or the program for the entry is removed.
>
> Take a look at your /etc/inittab file and if you can't find an error post
> the first part of that file with a short bug desciption in the mailinglist
> debian-68k@list.debian.org

OK, thanks.  Here's the information -

/etc/inittab -
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty2
3:34:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty3
4:34:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty4
5:34:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty5
6:34:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty6

I recall also having the same problem back when I installed
the Watchtower distribution (stop pulling those funny faces at me! :))
It appears it could be a console device problem?

Although undocumented, I found Watchtower has an 'agetty' for amiga
consoles, so I switched to that fine.

However, I found no amiga specific getty replacement for debian.
So running out of ideas I backed up the getty and copied accros the
libc5 agetty from watchtower along with associated library and rebooted.
No respawning too fast problems this time, however, after entering the
user and pass (ie. root, or an inserted username I created) it just
goes back to the login prompt again.

The machine is an Amiga 4000/040 with 20MB RAM.  Also, I have a problem
using amiboot to load the m68k disks from the debian distribution - why
are the disk images ms-dos format?  An actual bootable disk would be
great :)  When I boot with root.bin or whatever I get a kernel panic
saying that it can't mount the vfat VFS.  Also tried with a previously
compiled 2.0.33 kernel.

Thanks, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Regards
Steve Hardman