Re: kernel dumps in X

Fred Bo <famb@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

> I've installed X11 3.3.1 from the debian packages and various window
> managers also, but all of them are giving me kernel dumps except
> fvwm2,0.  Even the xterm that came with this X package causes a
> kernel dump, in practice X us unusable with this setup.

That's strange, it's working fine here and on kullervo.  Could you
send me (not the list, just me) the output of the commands `dpkg -C'
and `dpkg -l' please?

> I'm running the precompiled generic 2.0.29, I have 2.0.33 here but
> it has that bug that prevents X from running and I don't have gcc
> installed yet to compile my own kernel. Is there an generic kernel
> already precompiled with that patch,

Not that I know of sorry; I think Jes is waiting for 2.0.34 to come
out before releasing a fix.

> or the problem with the kernel dumps doesn't have anything to do
> with the kernel?

It shouldn't do, at least I've used X on a variety of 2.0.xx and
2.1.xx kernels, including 2.0.29.

--
James