Re: amigainstall.lha problem

Ciro Scognamiglio wrote:
> >There's no such thing as a FPU emulation kernel for m68k. Get a FPU.
>
> Yes there is a special kernel with FPU emulation (one of the 2.1.xx sperimental
> one I think) but you NEED an MMU or you wont get Linux run on your miggy.
>
> For the kernel try to have a look on a linux m68k site (sunsite for istance)
> and have a look to the FAQ.

No, there's no official kernel with FPU emulation. What may have been
added to 2.1
(recently) is support for doing the FPU emulation in user space (that's
mainly
getting rid of all FPU instructions inside the kernel). There have been
inofficial
kernels compiled with FPU emulation around 1.3.something and 2.0.early,
but that
code never made it into the maintained kernel source due to licensing
problems
(the FPU code used there is BSD licensed, and the BSD license violates
the GPL
by imposing additional restrictions beyond the scope of the GPL). This
problem is indeed explained in the FAQ. And the FAQ clearly states that
there's no legal FPU
emulation kernel that could be distributed along with any binary
distribution.

Linux sure needs a MMU, too. But that's builtin to the 68030 (another
FAQ). No problem there.