Kernel creation help

Boy, is this embarrasing.  I am trying to create a custom kernel
using the debian package system. I am sure
I am doing something outstandingly stupid.

I have already made my
.config file.

The instructions now say
"Execute the command make-kpkg -r Custom.N kernal_image, where N is
a revision number assigned by the user"

Seems pretty straightforward.  However, I don't know what
to set up textwise for "kernal_image"

When I literally type "kernel_image", nothing happens,
just an echo of the command syntax.

WEhen I type in the path to my source,
/usr/src/linux-2.0.33   I get the same error.

By the way, I am running all these things
from /usr/src/linux-2.0.33 the top of the source tree.

So what goes in the command line?

In the meantime, I am using good old "make".
It seems to be cranking along.
Thanks!