[bwildasi@csulb.edu: Re: Linux-mac68k on a Quadra 700: SCSI Support?]

Please don't send mail as root.

Regards,

	Joey

--
There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.
--- Begin Message ---
[Posted and mailed]

In article <35E8A217.71EB3A2E@lcbvax.cchem.berkeley.edu>,
	Michael Schmitz <schmitz@lcbvax.cchem.berkeley.edu> writes:
	Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu> writes:
>> I've got ping working in ppp, but the host-resolver doesn't yet work and
>
> Create /etc/resolv.conf with the line
>
> nameserver xx.yy.zz.ip
>
> where xx.... is the IP address of your name server.
> And make sure /etc/host.conf exists and contains the lines
>
> order hosts,bind
> multi on

Okay, i give that a try!

BTW Can i use the ppp-setup scripts by Dr. Bill Studenmund in etc/ppp/ scripts, which i now use in netbsd-1.3.2? Linux-m68k is running the same version of ppp as that other os, and all i had to do was ./MAKEDEV cua0 in order to get Linux to dial my modem. Here's those:
http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/linux-mac68k/ppp-linux.demo-readme

> (see the install guide; I've explained that selecting 'not connected to network'
> fails to create at least resolv.conf, and recommended _not_ to use that option).

[snip]

>> I tried the one that comes with Install.sit.bin, but it doesn't work. I think
>> its called ROOT.BIN, but boogaloos in the menus when using it, so I've opted
>> to use root2_0.bin-98-01-01, which only has one menu that appears to not work
>> properly.
>
> Where does it fail? Did you read the section in the install guide detailing
> that it might fail configuring the keyboard, and what to do about it?

This is just off the top of my head, but i will reinstall to find the bug again.

When I install from the Debian Installer (root2_0.bin-98-01-01), it wasn't about the keyboard, but about installing the base files, the menu has two options. The first is selecting from a list for base and the second option below is manually setting the directory where the base2_0.tgz archive is located. The first option hangs the computer. The installer works okay, when I manually choose installing from a harddisk, which brings up a list of possible partitions (mine is /dev/sda7 for my macOS HFS partition).

Linux appears to have hfs_fs as filesystem support to read/write macOS HFS partitions. Very cool!

> Please send a detailed bug report to the Debian bug tracking system or
> debian-68k@lists.debian.org or post it here. If it's not the keyboard config
> problem, we need your information to fix the problem. I've tested the install
> procedure on three Mac models and the keyboard config was the only problem
> (and only on machines with up to 8 MB RAM).

Is there a link or HOW-TO for using the Debian bug tracking system?

>> Since I've got this one partially working, could I get a gcc compiler and
>> recompile the kernel source of vmlinux-2.1.105-980728.gz? I need to get
>
> Sure, it I knew what exactly was 980728 :-) I'm not sure that snapshot still
> exists as backup file on my disk.

Does linux-m68k have a CVS tree or some way to appy diffs or reverse diffs, if that's possible?

>> the 'reboot' fixed as I can't cleanly exist the filesystem and this is
>> causing me to have to use e2fsck_utils program to fix the ext2 filesystem
>> everytime before I can successfully reboot into linux-m68k.
>
> Use 'halt' or 'reboot' in the ramdisk, or 'shutdown -h now' / 'shutdown -r now'
The ram disk? I was referring to rebooting from a Linux session in a mounted external SCSI disk ext2 filesystem, not the Debian Installer session, which BTW does reboot if I'm using the supplied ROOT.BIN installer file that came with Install.sit.bin. Although you had suggested using that one, it breaks at other points in the install menus (I'll have to try using it again to recall what errors those were), so I wasn't able to use that to install and configure a working Linux system. To do that, i needed root2_0.bin-98-01-01, and this is the one that appears to have the one hang up 'boogaloo' I was referring to.

Tried the 'shutdown -r now', but some things bash doesn't understand. Because i've been debugging my /etc/ppp scripts, I switched root to use sh instead.

> in the base system. The kernel hangs during the attempt to reboot, but that's
> _after_ the filesystems have been dismounted (at least that's what happens for
> me). After it's halted or hung, you can reset.
>
> 	Michael

--- End Message ---