Re: KDE 1.0 m68k? gnome 0.20 m68k? Gimp m68k?

Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> Hey, ...

> maybee eagle could licence the amigaos (or a subset of it) with the
> money they make selling eagle linux, and make a intuition port to
> the framebuffer device.

They tried. They had some Inverstors at hand and made an offer for
Amiga (which was more than Amiga was actually sold for) but they
didn't get Amiga (Maybe Perto feared for his job?).

> this could give linux a speedy desktop for slow machines, and give
> more market for the amiga developper community. I would gladdly buy
> one of your cd (although i arleady have debian hamm installed) if
> you do such a thing.

You haven't seen the code. The AmigaOS is pretty messy. I know of only
one person who managed to compile a rom image on Amiga with sas and
get it to boot. Its pretty unstable because of the compiler dependand
stuff thats in the code and they used several compilers for different
parts, so each has its own assumptions. The choise, as I see it, when
owning AmigaOS, is to keep the licens and do it again.

> sure there could be a licence problem, but it would be great for
> both the linux-m68k community and the amigaos market.

Well, if one could buy it completely, one could change the licens.

> If you have the source it shouldn't be too difficult. since you have
> all the hardware, and the job already done by the AROS people.

For the Source, see above. Also AmigaInt itself doesn't even have all
the Source.

There are some other points to mention: We (Dragon) are just 4
guys. Two of them doing the Linux m68k. We just wouldn't have the
manpower to do something like that and sure we don't have the
financial backup.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven LUTHER

May the Source be with you.