Re: Debian on Amiga

> a '30/50MHz is enough to run linux, i am not sure about disk space, there is something about it in the faq, but the limitation of X is aga, not the processor.
>
> you will be able to get somewhat acceptable X in 4 planes, but 8 planes is slower.
>
> get loads of ram, that will help (X uses at least 12MB i have heardd
>  and if it begins to swap, it is very slow.) anyway, ram is cheap this days.

I have a stock Amiga 4000/040 with 20mb of RAM... Although it is stable
under X, I don't think it is actually worth running when I am so used to
1024x768 as a minimum standard on my Pentium.  VGA/Multisync mode in 4
planes is bearable at that resolution, however you may be better off
just doing everything from virtual consoles, screen and split-tty.
(use the video=font:PEARL8x8 bootarg for a nice number of lines). Most X
apps are too ugly in the bearable resolutions.

If I have the money one of the first things I'll do is invest in a graphics
accelerator for my poor Amiga :)

Regards
Steve Hardman
(Yet another person on this list in Perth, Australia)
hardguy@it.net.au