Re: Package add

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >>   What's the Debian equivalent of a package add?  or an rpm -i?
> >
> >If you have Debian 2.0 (stable) installed, you should have seen
> >dselect already. With that you can browse and install packages. Do a
> >search (hit "/") for apt and install it. After that you cann install
> >packages with
> >
> >apt-get install package ...
>
> Why not use dpkg -i ?? That is, assuming he knows where the package is, having
> it on CD or downloaded someplace.

You don't have to worry about where the package is or if you
downloaded it already. If the package is mentioned in one of the
Package files mentioned in apts config it will install (and if needed
download) it. Most of the time you know what to install, but not where
from (or you are just to lazy to type out the path :).

> Is apt in stable?

Aktually it seems that it didn't make it for stable. Its in slink now
and not in project/experimental any more. Since the m68k version was
lacking behind it got deleted from project/experimental but no nnew
one got installed in slink. So we don't have apt at all. (unless
somebody compiles it). God that I have it installed already, I use it
nearly all the time.

> 	Michael

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn