RE: Working ram disk image for IIsi

At 8:56 AM -0700 7/10/98, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>:-) It should turn the LEDs off again. That's solved; there was a race
>condition
>between polling the ADB interrupt handler and entering it via interrupt.
>One of Alan Cox' gread debug hacks that had survived and never bit me...
>
>>No key I type has any effect on the first screen.  So I am stuck here for
>>right now.
>
>Use the latest kernel (2.0)  from the Mac FTP site in the kernels/testing
>directory.

OK, let's see if I am missing anything.  In all the rebooting, I am now
disabling extensions (with shift) as I reboot to save time.

I am getting mixed results.  I am taking the kernel images I downloaded and
copying them to the boot floppy with Penguin and renaming the file I copy
to "linux".  First I thought I was having the lights go off while using the
testing/2.0.33pl-980708 and 2.1.101-980620 kernels while booting from
floppy.I tried the other two as well.  None of them have allowed me to type
anything so far.  I then zapped my PRAM just in case.  I reset the 32 bit
mode in Memory control panel.  I even tried a Power Computing keyboard to
see if it made a difference, it didn't.

The floppy annoyed me, and I didn't see any difference in results when
compared to copying the whole disk to the internal hard disk as a folder
and then using it instead of the floppy.  This was necessary for one of the
images because it was too large for the floppy disk.  I went back and tried
to boot each of the following kernels and wrote down the results to
double-check myself.  They each booted in 24 line large font (980507 booted
in smaller font, which is nice) and they all had identical results on my
LEDs (all LEDs were on):

vmlinux-2.0.33pl1-980614.gz
vmlinux-980507.elf.gz
vmlinux-2.1.101-980620.gz
     The one had a message about initializing initial console, then worked OK.
testing/vmlinux-2.0.33pl-980708.gz

So I am now very very frustrated in trying to get this going.  I have spent
2 hours rebooting a stupid Mac IIsi with no results to show for it.  It's
also very late which doesn't help.  I seem to be so damn close and yet so
far away.  All suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>