RE: Hamm - MacIIci ethernet card problem

Hi,

>   I got Debian to install (it was the wrong kernel version).

What kernel version did you use before, and which is successful now?
(just in case other IIci owners run into the same trap).

>I am now wondering what the following errors mean:
>
>SCIOADDRT:Invalid Argument

SIOCADDRT is the ioctl to add a route. And I guess you use a 2.1 kernel,
a rather recent version, from which the 'route forgot to specify routing
netmask' was dropped. Add a netmask to the 'route add' commands, or use a
2.0 kernel.

>eth0: Reentering the interrupt handler! isr=0x1 imr=0x0.

RBV Macs suck. There's a sti() in the NS8390 interrupt handler that
shouldn't be there in the first place. The RBV has level triggered interrupts,
so you reenter the interrupt handler as soon as the sti() is encountered, which
triggers yet another interrupt ... ad infinitum, or kernel stack overflow.

Ought to be fixed in the latest 2.1.105 kernel in the testing directory,
probably still present in 2.0 :-(

Fix:
James: please remove the only sti() present in drivers/net/ns8390.c and also
please change init/main.c as follows:

-#if defined (CONFIG_AMIGA) || defined (CONFIG_ATARI)
+#if defined (CONFIG_AMIGA) || defined (CONFIG_ATARI) || defined (CONFIG_MAC)
 	{ "video=", video_setup },
 #endif

(typed from memory, but you'll find the spot).