dpkg: unable to chown symlink errors

Greetings, all!

I'm finally finishing up my really-big-upgrade from libc5 to libc6, and I'm
hitting a problem in dpkg.  On a few packages, it complains that it can't
change the ownership of symlinks.

I can work around this for most packages with a dpkg -x XX.deb /, but
dupload and tk8.0 are being stubborn.

This affects dpkg 1.4.0.21 and .22.  Didn't notice the problem until I
started using 2.1.101 (because my system decided to crash every few minutes
while I was running 2.0.33pl1).

Any suggestions?  I know there were some chown issues in the 2.1.8x kernels,
but I was pretty sure this was resolved by now... (and this bug didn't
affect i386, where I was also running 2.1.101 last week).

Chris
|       Chris Lawrence       |   You have a computer.  Do you have Linux?   |
|   <quango@ix.netcom.com>   |     http://www.linux-m68k.org/index.html     |
|     Contract Programmer    |    Visit the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5:    |
|     FedEx Ops Research     |    <*> http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/ <*>    |