Re: Will deity be ready for 2.0? (fwd)

Hi,

>> For the dinstall rewrite, please consider the changes I made to the dinstall
>> script to support the Mac architecture.
>
>has somebody include these diffs to the cvs tree? Maybe I should install ssh
>here to get the cvs tree to my "home" computer.

Nah, I haven't submitted these diffs anywhere outside the m68k team (except
sending them to Bruce on Friday) as I thought that kind of hack with dinstall
would only be preliminary. I'd rather wait for the boot-floppies to stabilize
before continuing to work on the true 2.0 install stuff. I've sent diffs
for the 2.0 boot-floppies' swapon/swapoff to Sven, but that's been the end of
my efforts for now. Need to spend more time at the lab bench again :-)

>> AFAIK we're up to date on libc6. I've adapted the old boot ramdisk (floppy is
>> a misfit here, with only Atari having proper install floppies) to work with
>> James' base2_0 to support beta testing the installation procedure while
>> work on the 2.0 boot floppies continues.
>
>Did you also upload the new root.bin?

It's on ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/pub/Linux/680x0/Debian-support.

>> Atari and Mac also have their own disk partitioning tools. The fundamental
>> differences in the partition formats make integrating these tools into a
>> common tool very difficult, at least with respect to editing the partition
>> tables. Michael Schlueter solved that problem by writing a wrapper script
>> to select the proper tool, which will probably not work with a C dinstall.
>
>Maybe, but there is already a new lib to parse the fdisk output. It should also
>know the computer it works on. So it's not very hard to include the wrapper into
>that lib.

I didn't worry about somehow starting the external fdisk via a wrapper, I worry
more about parsing the output into C data structures. As I've understood it,
the lib doesn't launch fdisk binaries but rather executes the fdisk code directly
and fills internal data structures without need for parsing. I might be off by
several galaxies there...

Anyway, Bruce got the dinstall script diffs (I had sent them to Roman, James and
you earlier) and the Apple pdisk diffs. I've not yet succeeded in rebuilding
dpkg with a changed find command line required to overcome another Apple problem
but I'll try again. That should be the only adjustments required for Mac support
and should be tested before 2.0 is frozen.