Re: Will deity be ready for 2.0? (fwd)

Hi,

>> One other thing: AFAIK, you are working on the i386 boot disks. James
>> Troup told me (I don't know if he has already contacted you about that)
>> that these changes to the disks mean a lot of new work for the m68k people
>> (and perhaps also to other porters) to update their boot disks.
>
>There are three tiers of changes. First, I am getting the boot floppy
>working with libc6. Second, we are rewriting dinstall in C using newt for
>dialog boxes. The old shell dinstall will still be supported for a little
>while. Third, I am doing a shell-and-dialog (actually "whiptail") hack to
>operate as a package category tool and keep most users out of dselect.

For the dinstall rewrite, please consider the changes I made to the dinstall
script to support the Mac architecture.

>If they are up to date on libc6 they are going to need the new boot
>floppy.  Otherwise, they should stick with the old one.  They will need

AFAIK we're up to date on libc6. I've adapted the old boot ramdisk (floppy is
a misfit here, with only Atari having proper install floppies) to work with
James' base2_0 to support beta testing the installation procedure while
work on the 2.0 boot floppies continues.

>to track continuing changes in these packages: libc-pic, slang-pic,
>newt, popt, boot-floppies, base-files, util-linux. The Amiga has its
>own disk partitioning, and we need help with that (Enrico Zanardi is
>working on that part). Other systems that diverge from the boot floppy
>tool set should be brought to our attention.

Atari and Mac also have their own disk partitioning tools. The fundamental
differences in the partition formats make integrating these tools into a
common tool very difficult, at least with respect to editing the partition
tables. Michael Schlueter solved that problem by writing a wrapper script
to select the proper tool, which will probably not work with a C dinstall.