Re: Problems unpacking dpkg-1.1.2elf.deb

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Frank Buschbeck wrote:

> I think dpkg will run with this file but the dir file contains a
> directory file for the info browser of the texinfo system. So You
> may run into problems using 'info'.

well, here is the dir file not encoded:
-*- Text -*-
This is the file .../info/dir, which contains the topmost node of
the Info hierarchy.  The first time you invoke Info you start off
looking at that node, which is (dir)Top.

File: dir	Node: Top	This is the top of the INFO tree
  This (the Directory node) gives a menu of major topics.  Typing "d"
  returns here, "q" exits, "?" lists all INFO commands, "h"  gives a
  primer for first-timers, "mTexinfo<Return>" visits Texinfo topic,
  etc.
  Or click mouse button 2 on a menu item or cross reference to select
  it.
  --- PLEASE ADD DOCUMENTATION TO THIS TREE. (See INFO topic first.) ---

In Debian Linux, Info \`dir' entries are added with the command
\`install-info'.  Please refer to install-info(8) for usage details.

* Menu: The list of major topics begins on the next line.

General Commands

i do not see any "info" entry in this dir. what do you mean?

> Many days ago I had the same problems and found a little script
> in a texinfo distribution. Running this script reads Your /usr/info
> directory and creates a proper 'dir' file on it.

well, but install-info has it's own thoughts about the
structure of a dir file. it's better to use this one.

local info files should go to /usr/local/info, the dir file
there might be in any format you like.

> I suppose using the above mentioned 'dir' dpgk will work fine
> also but running 'info' you'll get some links to info pages Your
> filesystem does not include!

this one i do not understand. ?!?!

jjm

--
Juergen Menden                   | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by me,
tel:    +49 (89) 289 - 22387     +-----------+ are (usually) not the opinions

Hi! I'm a .signature virus!  Add me to your .signature and join in the fun!