Re: (gnu)chess, I'm building it

Philip Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk> writes:

> >A week might be conservative.  I've been building the package for
> >2 or 3 days now and haven't made much of a dent.  I'll kill the
> >build; there's quite a bit to do now.
>
> Yeah, it takes several days on ARM too.
>
> I wonder how architecture-specific the chess datafiles really are, though.
> Maybe the build could be modified so that this stuff goes in an
> architecture-independent package and doesn't have to be regenerated
> each time.

Its probably binary data, but one could write a converter from a
general form to the hosts form and run that upon install.

As of now I have the following progress:

i386: 121520
alpha: 58720
m68k: 16570

The Alpha was a bit late in starting the compile, had to download more
pdates there. But rouchly they are all working the same amount of
time. Suprisingly the alpha seems slow, should be equla to my i386 or
faster.

How far up do the numbers have to go?

MfG
        Goswin