Re: (gnu)chess, I'm building it

Philip Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk> writes:

> >A week might be conservative.  I've been building the package for
> >2 or 3 days now and haven't made much of a dent.  I'll kill the
> >build; there's quite a bit to do now.
>
> Yeah, it takes several days on ARM too.

It takes 9 hours on a fast[1] i386, easily dwarfing most other
packages[2].  Unfortunately the maintainer isn't overly responsive to
this (see #102272 etc.) and Debian issues in general (see BTS, his
packages etc.).

IMNSHO this package should be ignored[3] until the maintainer can be
convinced to do something other than a grand imitation of an ostrich.
If you build it once, you're merely committing your architecture to
keeping it up to date.

--
James

[1] Relatively speaking of course... it's a HP E800 (P3 933), faster
    than all other Debian buildds.
[2] qt2 (i.e. qt-x11) takes 1 hours 8 minutes on the same machine, for
    comparison.  The next slowest build is kernel-image-2.4.16-i386,
    clocking in at 3 hours 37 minutes.
[3] no_auto_build or P-a-s, not NFU please.