Re: [Debconf-video] Photo policy for Debconf14

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 03:06:35PM +0200, Oliver Propst wrote:
> While the plan for video capture during Debconf14 [1] seems to be very
> thought-out, the plan/policy for still photography seems a bit more
> unclear, I would like to get more info about it, thanks (I plan to
> take lots of photos).
>
> While register for the conference I nocited that you had the option of
> opt-out of being photographed, how do the team plan to enforce that?
> Could this a be solution [2]?

We have tried some different approaches to this problem, but
unfortunately there's not any really easy solution unless we just said
"no photographs".

The lanyards idea has some plus points, but I suspect that if we do
things this way, rather more people will choose the "no photos" option
than would in practice refuse individual photo permission requests.
People's attitudes to photographs are rather more complex than "yes"
or "no", depending on the time, place and activity, on who's taking
the photograph and what that person will do with it, and on how much
they have already been photographed.

Speaking personally, while I'm generally ok to be in people's DebConf
photos, I wouldn't want to wear such a visible identifier giving
permission for all photos at any time.

The best approach as a photographer is still to ask before taking
photographs, and also to ask permission before posting those somewhere
public.

Moray