Re: [Debconf-video] Re-encoding dc17

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 08:26:21AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> The quality is about on par for the two files, but the VP8 file is 428M
> while the VP9 one is 341M. Unfortunately, the VP9 one does not load in
> Firefox, which claims that the file is "corrupt"[1]. On my sid laptop, I
> managed to get it to play in mpv, vlc, and Chromium, though.

After a quick email to the WebM mailinglist, it was pointed out to me
that the VP9 file was using yuv422p, which Firefox doesn't really like.
VP9 supports that pixel format, but VP8 does not (so encoding to VP8
implies a downsampling to 420), hence the fact that VP8 worked while VP9
didn't.

I've fired off a re-cut and re-transcode of every talk, but I'll hold
off on actually uploading them until early next week, so that if someone
comes up with some reason for why I shouldn't, nothing bad will have
happened yet :-)

Meanwhile, please ignore the "foobar is ready for review" messages of
the bot on IRC.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab