[Debconf-video] Suggestions around Opsis board purchases (was Re: Approval for DebConf Video Team equipment purchases)

Hi!

FYI The Numato Opsis boards are $449.95 USD to purchase from Numato - https://numato.com/numato-opsis-fpga-based-open-video-platform/

I *really* recommend making sure that you have N+2 Opsis boards, where N is the number of rooms that you have. This gives you a spare board in case of failure while having another board in the NOC for testing and development with. It also allows you to lend out one of the Opsis boards to developers without being worried that if it doesn't get back in time for an event that you won't have any spares.

I also suggest that DebConf purchase at least one "TOFE Milkymist Compatibility Board" ($65 USD) and as many "TOFE Low Speed IO Expansion Board" ($36 USD) as you have Opsis boards (or at a minimum 2). These add on boards are only available through CrowdSupply (https://www.crowdsupply.com/numato-lab/opsis) until stock is no longer

The Milkymist board adds Audio, MIDI and DMX capabilities. This will very useful for testing Kyle's work on USB Audio before the extracting audio from the HDMI stream is finished. It also lets you experiment with interfacing with control decks which have mechanical faders and tally lights.

The TOFE Low Speed IO boards add useful buttons and indicator LEDs, another USB serial port and adding custom IO controls. This makes it significantly easier to debug issues with the board as you can get console output even when the USB is being reset. The buttons and LEDs also allow control at an event (like switching inputs/outputs) without needing to log into the capture PC.

Don't forget that you want to purchase Redmere cables to improve the compatibility of the board. However, I'm unsure the best place to get them at the moment is.

On more exciting news, If all goes well, we should also have a SDI capture board for the Opsis by the end of the year! The TimVideos and Apertus project applied to the German Prototype fund to get sponsorship for developing a FOSS SDI core and this proposal has gotten to the last stage of approval!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

On 19 June 2017 at 08:20, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
Hi all,

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:27:04AM +0200, Kyle Robbertze wrote:
> This is a request for approval for the video team to purchase the
> following equipment before DC17. They are intended for use at
> future DebConfs and miniconfs.

awesome thread + work, loving it!

very happy to read such mails…! :)