Re: [Debconf-video] Camcorder tryout and purchase

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 07:36:32PM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> I've sent in the details to get the cameras to try out next weekend (Fri 23 -
> Mon 26).

Awesome.

> I've also asked them to draft me a purchase order with options for the
> following :
>
> - 6 of either (Sony PXW-X70; Sony PXW-X70 with 4k firmware unlock;

I don't think we need the 4k firmware unlock. The camera will do FullHD
without it, and all we need (at least for now...) is 720p, which isn't
even that.

I could imagine we might at some point want to increase the resolution
of the recordings we do. However, it still won't be 4k at that point;
more like 1080p.

When I checked, the price tag of the 4k firmware unlock was €600, on top
of the €2600 that Kamera-Express quoted it for. That would make this
camera be €3200 or some such, which is a bit too much IMO.

Part of why the Sony is interesting is because it has a large 4k-capable
sensor, which increases its light sensitivity. Even without the 4k
firmware unlock, that makes it an interesting option. But I don't think
we need that firmware unlock.

(it's good to have the option, I suppose, but I doubt we'll want it)

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab