Re: [Debconf-video] Having x265 videos for debconf 2016.

In-line :-

On 08/05/2016, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
> Hi Shirish,

Hi Wouter,

> Thanks for your enthousiasm. However, as a Free Software distribution,
> Debian has a preference for distributing content in formats that are not
> patent-encumbered, which H.265 as well as H.264 unfortunately are. The
> WebM format, produced by Google, does not have those issues[1], so we
> prefer to use that instead.
>
> WebM has two options for its video codec; VP8 (comparable to H.264 in
> performance and compression level and VP9 (comparable to H.265).
> Unfortunately, market penetration and encoder quality of VP9 is not yet
> ready (especially if limiting ourselves to Jessie), but we will switch
> to VP9 at some point in the future.
>
> [1] Or at the very least, there are no known patents that apply to the
>     WebM formats *and* that are being actively enforced.

Thank you for sharing the above. Then, if the compression, size and
quality of the videos is similar to h.265 why couldn't we have a
folder/directory called as vp9 and let it be offered to people who
want have/enjoy the videos at low bit-rates. This will be useful to
people who don't have access to good bandwidth and still be able to
enjoy the videos in reasonable time.

>> I know that for 60 + videos (which each debconf has) it is a tall
>> order,
>
> Nah, CPU time is not the problem. If we decide to use a more
> CPU-intensive codec, we'll just have the system spend more time
> processing them. This can all be automated, so it's just a matter of
> saying "hi computer, here are a few dozen videos, please transcode them,
> kthxbye".

While I don't know the specifics of how encoding is done, I would
assume/presume that most videos probably are parallely encoded. Does
anybody have any statistics that they could share say from last year
about original format and time taken to encode to the target format
.webm (vp8) just to have an idea, say of a single 40 minute talk
(along with slides) . I tried to find this info. on the wiki but
wasn't there. Also any inputs on the hardware would be good as well to
have some idea.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल