Re: [Debconf-video] switching to CC-BY (Re: [Debconf-team] Fwd: licensing question for Eben's Debconf video

On 04/19/2011 04:30 AM, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> All of the above just reflects my own experience with the tools and the
>> licenses and is just for informational purposes, not an exhortation or
>> legal advice, which I am not qualified to give. If you'd like more
>> details on what I've run into though and some of the new free software
>> video tools, I am happy to share my experiences.
>
> I'd love to hear more about those new free software video tools!

The main ones are both produced by the Participatory Culture Foundation
(of Miro fame). Neither are perfect, bits of a centralization focus
stick out here and there, HTML 5 is not worked through video playback
yet, etc but overall these are some very useful tools, especially for
large networked communities.

Miro Community: http://mirocommunity.org ===
The first is the "miro community" web service which is a django based
system for creating media sites with tools for embedding videos from all
of the popular video streaming/sharing sites. The software is friendly
to customization and templating through standard CSS and is available as
free software, though PCF also runs it as a hosted service for those who
lack the infrastructure. The system is not packaged for Debian and I
believe that is not where their internal development efforts are
focused, but I know of a few organizations like my own that would be
interested in using or contributing to that effort.

Overall it has been very easy and made it convenient to pull together in
a consistent and centralized location both our own videos and videos
taken by other organizations about us.

Universal Subtitles: http://universalsubtitles.org ===
The second tool is Universal Subtitles, which is a collection of HTML 5
widgets for creating timed text subtitles for streaming videos on the
web combined with a web service operated by PCF that handles user
accounts and serves as a central repository of existing subtitles. This
has proven to be very simple to use and our multi-lingual community
members have responded by subtitling and then translating our videos
into multiple languages, see http://freedomboxfndn.mirocommunity.org/
for the current state of that effort.

Of note, OpenID is supported for user credentials and all of the
subtitles can be downloaded directly in multiple standard subtitle
formats suitable for packaging with the original videos into OGM or MKV
containers for local playback.