Title: The DebConf Video Team
Author: Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva

DebConf is one of the most critical phases of Debian development
throughout the year.  While DebConf isn't necessarily when the most
code is written, it is when many meetings happen to plan out what to
do and share ideas.  This period is so important that those who want
to take part in Debian but cannot attend may be at a disadvantage.

Thanks to the video team, DebConf is not limited to those able to
travel for a week.  The DebConf10 video team broadcasted two rooms of
talks to the entire world, and archived all footage for reference by
anyone.  Those wanting to participate or ask questions can ask in the
talk room channels on IRC, and someone will relay the questions or
feedback.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of this service.  Countless ideas
have been proposed during talks - or created during the discussions
surrounding talks or BOFs.  One example of this is Joey Hess's
Constantly Usable Testing proposal.  This idea was proposed during
a talk, discussed by the audience, and generated such excitement that
developers have continued to work on it after DebConf.  If developers
were not able to see this introduction, they would be at a disadvantage
for contributing.  Furthermore, the talk is archived for future
contributors so that they can catch up and contribute more.

All of this is done with a software stack developed in a large part at
past DebConfs.  The setup uses mostly software components, instead of
expensive proprietary hardware, so that anyone else can easily use our
work without major expense.  Of course, all parts are free software.
We use Digital Video capture via Firewire and in-room gigabit ethernet to
move video to our central mixer.  The mixer, "dvswitch", can switch
between different video inputs, audio inputs, and even do
picture-in-picture displays.  Typically, there is a speaker camera,
audience camera, and slide capture.  There are both speaker and
audience microphones.  From the mixer, there is an uplink to an
encoding server which then broadcasts to a worldwide network of
streaming servers.  A mixed stream is also saved for later archival
encodings.

The DebConf team has existed since DebConf FIXME(debconf number).  Its
work has been used at numerous other free software conferences, such
as FOSDEM, PyCon, FIXME(add more).  It is designed with simplicity and
ease of setup in mind, so that anyone can use it.

DebConf is very proud of its video team.  If you want to view any past
talks, or talks at future DebConfs, just go to
http://video.debconf.org. FIXME(make this URL useful, and point to
past talks and current streams)

---

--