Re: [Debconf-video] suggested codecs/formats for videos

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 16:40 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2010, at 13:49, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver <p2@debian.org>
> wrote:
>

> > Nothing stops you from transcoding to one of those formats.
> >

> Indeed, and I have, but I was kindly asked not to distribute the
> transcodes, and instead to provide feedback on what codecs should be
> provided on this list, which I have done.

Any transcoding to non-standard formats is extra work, and our first
focus is naturally going to be to make the videos available in the
standard formats.

Once we have the videos up, perhaps we can look to provide a mechanism
for people to provide contributed additional transcodings which we can
make available alongside the standard ones.

Is VLC or Mplayer available for Apple laptops?  Can we just distribute
plain audio files for people with Apple computer accessories such as
iPhone, iPod & iPad?

> Re: patent issues. I am well aware of the issues, but we are not
> discussing the packaging of software in Debian, but instead the
> distribution of multimedia data, which are not the same thing.

I'm not entirely clear to which point in the process the royalty
payments apply, but if the software is not in Debian it's inevitably
harder for us to *do* the transcoding.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
      Give your very best today.  Heaven knows it's little enough.