Re: [Debconf-video] Last bits missing from the Final Report

On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 18:21 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 14:42 -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to start turning the Final Report into a nice piece of
> > scribus work, to turn it into a an awesome PDF to show sponsors and
> > attendees, and some bits are missing:
> >
> > * Fundraising (Steve)
> > * Video team (Holger & Womble2)
> [...]
>
> I started on this but haven't got very far.  I'll send what I've got to
> you later this evening.

Here's my text.  Holger or others may want to add to or correct some of
this; in particular, the description of audio is lacking, and the
volunteers deserve more thanks.

Ben.

The video team continued to build on the experience of existing
members while recruiting new volunteers to work for nothing more than
a video team T-shirt.  As usual, we provided live video streams and
also recorded events for later viewing.  This year we published
over 50 hours of video covering 76 events.

Unlike the hotel in Mar del Plata, the venue did not provide staff to
support A/V.  However we were free to arrange furniture, cables and
equipment ourselves.  The second talk room was designed as a video
theatre and had limited lighting controls, so it was a challenge to
light the speaker without also lighting the screen and making it
unreadable.  Sometimes we succeeded in this; sometimes not.

Instead of recording directly to a file server, we set up each room's
video mixer to record to local files and then moved the files to the
file server after each half-day of recording.  This change meant that
we no longer required the network team to set up a separate video
network, and that recordings could be reviewed and transcoded at any
time of day.

The video team now has a good set of audio equipment, with which we
recorded high quality audio for most events as well as providing PA in
the main talk room.  During the 'Accessibility and Debian' talk we
were able to mix in speech synthesiser output directly from Sam's
laptop.

Some mistakes we made that we should correct next year:
- We didn't get all the 'cheat sheets' ready, so new members made
  mistakes and had to ask a lot of questions that we could have
  answered in advance.
- There was not enough time to update the Pentabarf video code during
  DebCamp, so we could not make some enhancements to the video
  workflow.  We need to work on this in advance.
- We decided to reuse video tapes once we knew we had good recordings
  on disk, but we didn't set up a process for this.  We ran out of
  tapes and sometimes had to reuse them without checking.

--
Ben Hutchings
Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.