[Debconf-video] outline for the videoteam talk at dc8

Hi,

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debconf-video/talks/?rev=0&sc=0 is the svn repo
weburl where we develop our talk to be held at DebConf8.

The outline reads atm:

       The video team,
        people, hardware and software

        People

We would like to bind up as few people as possible in the video team.
Our activity is a service, not a playful hacking thing.

Post production takes for ever, if it ever happens.  We strive to get
as much as possible done instantly.

        Hardware

The hardware should be cheap and light.  Commodity hardware is more
convenient than specialty hardware.  Two non-commodity pieces that we
now consider "must have": Scan converter (VGA to DV) and wireless
mic.  The laptops and the DV cameras can be borrowed by/from participants
or the local team.

       Software

The software should be a minimal set of packages running on Debian
Stable.  Dvswitch fits that bill.

         TODO

Talkback: The camera operators should have headsets, and receive oral
instructions from the mixer operator/producer.

Tally lights: The cameras should have a red lamp telling everyone
(especially the camera operator) when they are "on".

            Caveats

Lighting problems.  Good room lighting should provide a comfortable light
level and adequate light for cheap cameras, and still not wash out the
projector screen.  More often than not, this is not the case.

Lighting workarounds.  Spot light on the speaker, turn off the rest
during the talk.  Turn the lights on again for the Q&A session,
assuming the screen won't be much needed then.

Recording the sound from the audience takes some care.  We want
reactions from the audience to be audible, but general murmur and air
condition noise should be cut out.

The crowd cam should see _everyone_ in the audience.  This may require
a tall platform, or (fancy!) a jib arm.

       *** What the software does

       * dvsource

Grabs video from a DV camera over firewire, and sends it over TCP to
the *dvswitch*.  Dvswitch may run on a different computer, usually
nearby.

        * dvswitch

The heart of the system is dvswitch.

          * dvsink

Receives the output from dvswitch

         *** Live demo

* Show the hardware
 Laptops
 Cameras, tripods, firewire
 Scan converter
 Switch, ethernet cable
 Sound mixer

* Show the setup
 Speaker cam, head mic
 Crowd cam, crowd mic
 Cabling (gaffa, gaffa, gaffa)

* Demonstrate editing
 Recursive video (gag)
 Cutaways (let the cam-op frame the shot)
 Eye direction (when two shots won't intercut well...)
 Sound level (open and fade out crowd mic)
 PiP?  Text overlays?
 Disorienting each other and the stream team (gag)
 "Do you have goatse there?"

Comments welcome!

I dont get the goatse reference :)

regards,