[Debconf-video] Musings on failsafeness. ("did you press record?")

If you are on the video team and have a lot to do at the moment:
Don't read this right now! ;-)

 We want our video recording system to be failsafe.

That is, even when someone forgets something, there should be
some recording of the event.  If the people at the dvswitch
see an image that moves, there should be a recording of that
somewhere.

"Remember to press record" does not fit that requirement.
Maybe recording should be set to start in the morning and
stop in the evening, no matter what?

The "cut" feature may still have to be manual, but that is
because the system is geared towards one file per event.
It is easier to manage, label and recode single files.
However, wrongly timed cuts are expensive to fix.

Transferring from tape is slooow.  We could use a disk on
the grabbing computers as backup instead of the tape.
Or a fast disk on the dvswitch machine.  This may only be
workable if the backup can be processed during Debconf,
though.

Disk space is finite.  Having enough disk space for ALL
the raw DV, and then some, would make failsafeness easier.

--
Herman Robak