Re: [Debconf-video] Re: Proposed licence for Debconf video recordings

On Thu, 18 May 2006 19:15:20 +0100 Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 May 2006 03:34:12 +0100 Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> > > The lack of a clear distinction between source and binary for
> > > video means that the licence is much more like copyleft than the
> > > originali (but without any mention of a preferred form).
> >
> > I don't think that this license could in any way be seen as a
> > copyleft. It does permit me to create a proprietary derivative work,
> > so it's definitely a non-copyleft license.
> > Not an issue, though: I pointed this out just to make things
> > clearer...
>
> The licence is contingent upon distributing its own text with any copy
> of the work or (at least some forms of) derivative work.  I thought
> that that implied the author of the derivative work would grant the
> same permissions.  But perhaps it could be distributed simply as
> information about the original work.

It must accompany the derivative work as the license for the parts
that come from the original work.
The license states:

| distributed with all copies and transcodings of the recording or
| substantial portions thereof

I don't think that a transcoding is a derivative work (assuming that I
correctly understand what you mean by "transcoding"): it's a mechanical
(i.e. non creative) transformation.
Hence, the license text must accompany *copies* and *substantial
portions* of the original work.
Not a derivative work as itself: only the substantial portions of the
original work that may be included in the derivative work.

Every creative contribution that is added (in order to obtain the
derivative work) may be under a different license.
If a proprietary license is chosen, the derivative work is effectively
proprietary (until you manage to reextract the parts under the
permissive license, if at all possible).

Hope this clears things up.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4