Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 20:27 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> The DV capture strategy
> -----------------------
> We will capture to HD. We will consume 78GB each day, assuming 5hs of
> presentations @ 13G p/h. We will have a storage server with more than
> 1.6TB of space and Gigabit Ethernet between the storage server and the
> encboxen. Even with Gb ethernet, we don't have enough bandwidth for 3
> full DV streams -- and it'd be really brittle, LAN file storage isn't
> meant for realtime stuff.

 Isn't your bandwidth requirement off by an order of magnitude?
Raw DV is 25 mbit/s, so a 100 mb/s LAN could handle three simultaneous
streams, at least in theory.

 78 GB per day sounds right.  That means only one stream per
presentation, though.  What about the screen?  Do you know of
a convenient way of switching between two cameras, live?

--
Herman Robak