Re: Call for bids for DebConf24

On 17031 March 1977, matusz wrote:

On rhe other hand I would think twice to organize debconf24 in other places than Haifa. There is plenty of time (9-10 months) until debconf 24 Haifa
would happen.

9 to 10 months may sound like a lot, but in reality, it isn't. For any
place this is a very narrow timeline (and yes, for the replacement too),
but with the addition of the war situation, in reality it makes it near
impossible to get anything like DebConf organized (they do have way
higher priority issues going on right now, naturally, like staying
alive).

Even if someone manages to do the organization, the next point on the
list are the attendees. *Many* countries have active travel warnings
out, which, for a lot of people, rules out traveling to that area.
Additionally many airlines also have cancelled flights, so even if
people want, going there is currently also much harder than usual. A
number of attendees won't care and will attend, but I would assume, way
less than otherwise.

Now, assuming it all calms back down to an "acceptable level" (what
level is acceptable in a state of war?), it's not "all gone, back to
normal" just so. The after-effects will stay for a long time. People
died, infrastructure broken, trust gone. A lot of crap, basically.
Asking someone to somewhat ignore that and run a happy conference within
such a short timeframe as DC24 would be, seems to be - not good.

I am happy with the decision to call for other bids (I'm not involved in
orga/this decision!), at the same time I'm sad it had to be taken, but
that was forced upon us from outside events. *Anyone* would be way more
happy if things could have run as planned, I am very sure. Also, if
things are back to something similar as it was in the past, I think it
is reasonable to expect a further Israel bid, if someone puts one
together, run with a higher chance of getting through, than usual bids.

--
bye, Joerg