Re: debconf timezone overlap for 3 continents

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021, at 14:34, lkcl wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> it was mentioned in the meeting that the time of the conference would
> be discussed later, and to focus on the dates, so i therefore did not
> say anything further.  however a follow-up comment by people with more
> experience (whom i did not feel comfortable contradicting, having been
> asked not to discuss the matter further in the meeting) led to a
> potential assumption that i had been asking about *website* timezones.
> now that the meeting is over i feel it is ok to clarify.

I don't think there was any confusion (at least there was none on my part).

[...]

Last year, when we opened registration, we polled prospective attendees about their timezones preferences. I think we ended up scheduling talk sessions from something like 13:00 UTC to 01:00 UTC. The "local" talk blocks were matched to end up in useful times for the timezones of relevant attendees. I suppose we're likely to use the same polling process this year to define the outline of the conference days.

Of course, one of the main concerns in an online conference, is the availability of volunteers with access to fix infra if something goes wrong, which can restrict the options further (but we seem to have fairly okay global coverage).

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont