Re: Incident response at DC20 (and onward)

Hi Molly and DebConf Team,

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 09:46:53AM -0700, Molly de Blanc wrote:
> We're very interested in doing what we can to help make the DC space
> welcoming, friendly, and safe for everyone who participates.

In my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, not having CT members
present at DebConf has led to some amount of scrambling to designate
people as on-site points of contact. This is, obviously, not entirely
ideal.

I think that once the CT folks have an idea of who (if anyone) will be
the onsite incident response team, their contact info should be
published on debconf##.dc.o and sent to dc-announce@lists.d.o. I don't
think this has to necessarily be CT members, but IMO CT should try to
form the team and ask for help if necessary.

As for enforcement and incident response, my understanding of CT is that
it is primarily responsible for making recommendations, not taking
action itself. Obviously depending on the circumstances the exact
recourse will be different, but I think that if the member of the onsite
response team feels that the organizers of that particular event should
take action, they should bring this up to the event organizers, who are
in the best position to enforce any recommendations. If this concerns a
DM or DD, contacting DAM may also be appropriate.

Should the incident relate to a member of the Orga team, I think that
the DC Committee should be informed.

Thanks for reaching out, I think this is an important conversation to
have ahead of time.

Taowa

--
Taowa Munene-Tardif