Re: Talk/event proposals "Closed source"

On 21/03/2018, Carl Karsten <carl@nextdayvideo.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> I have always wondered about this.
>
> I am not arguing for or against anything, just trying to understand,
> and I suspect help others understand too.
>
> Can someone elaborate on why
> "unfortunately means rejecting some."
> is a reason to keep anything about this secret?

<snipped>

Dear Carl,

I can think of few reasons why prospective presenters would like to
keep it a secret.

a. AFAIK, in most Asian societies, if you are rejected that is a loss
of face and may even have career recurpersions  for the presenter
which in turn means less applications and less choice. Trust builds
choice.

b. Similar would be the case for minority or under-represented
communities. Again, anonymity and the process may help them take those
first steps.

c. Similar to that, some talks may be 'controversial' or
'misunderstood' . This again is easy
as people are from different backgrounds and may have different
expectations from the
conference.

d. On the inverse side, if we have open talks then only some talks may
get disproportionate
audiences while others may not which would kill the conference ambience.

e. Having scheduled and non-scheduled lightning talks create an equal
balance. There may be people who wanna talk or share but may have
stage fright, jitters or may not want to be photographed or be video
shot and want to have a low profile. This is sensitive in nature.

f. Getting talks approved or not may influence bursary decisions or
not. At the same time, having talks approved or not may incentivize or
dis-incentivize people's inclinations to be in the conference.

There could be lot more dynamism at work which I'm not aware of but
the above 4-5 reasons  are plain and easy to guess at least from my
point of view.

FWIW, I have seen both the upsides and the downsides of both the
processes and each has its own set of challenges.

Hope it helps in getting a bit of insight from at least the
presenter's perspective :)

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल