Re: Join in the DC19 bursaries team

Hi Adriana,

* Adriana Cássia <adriana.org@gmail.com> [2018-08-30 16:30:52 -0300]:
> [...]
> I would like to know what is required to join in the bursaries team.

Thanks for your interest!

I will be answering to the debconf-team list, as this is all things that
should generally be known about the bursaries team.

I'm really happy to have someone from the local team get involved in the
bursaries process :-)

In my opinion, the main requirement to enter the team is a combination of
discretion and trustworthiness: the bursaries team handles the most sensitive
data that attendees fill in during their registration: applications often
contain personal details that must be shared with the absolute fewest people
possible. Attendees entrust us with that information and we need to take the
utmost care of it.

Of course the main part of the work involves looking at and evaluating people's
applications. To that end, members of the bursaries team need an overall
understanding of the organization of Debian, and the Free Software community.
Basically that means being able to look up and understand the record of
contributions of an individual in Debian and/or in the wider Free Software
community, and evaluating/assessing the relevance of that record within the
context of participation in the Debian Conference.

This also involves being able to judge, at least superficially, the work plan
for DebCamp and DebConf that people may submit depending on how we design the
process this year.

Finally, we do allow people who are on the team to apply for a bursary (all
members of the team are, after all, also contributors, and on that basis their
application should be considered), and we expect referees to recuse themselves
if they feel they would be unfair (either way) while evaluating someone's
application. When this happens, the bursaries admins can shuffle around some
evaluations to keep the workload even.

The meat of the process happens between the end of applications (currently set
to 31 March) and the posting of the results (currently set to 30 April). You
need to be able to set aside some time during this period, probably around
20 hours over the month, depending on the number of applicants.

We are still pondering having a budget for "essential volunteers" that would be
eligible to shortcut the process and just get their bursary granted early, but
that's still an idea that's floating around and we'll see if we implement it.

On to actual access, there's three tools we use for the process:
 - the bursaries@debconf.org alias, where we field queries around the process
   from attendees, and where we hold our internal discussions on general issues
   and on more specific attendee cases.
 - the website ("wafer") where attendees send their applications (during the
   registration process), and where members of the bursaries team ("referees")
   send their evaluations.
 - the private git repository, where the ranking and data processing scripts
   live. Those repos contain CSV files with the full data dump and are
   therefore sensitive/restricted.

We have two access levels:
 - referees only get access to the data for attendees they've been assigned,
   and to the git repositories if they want to look the scripts over and ensure
   the bursary admins are trustworthy.
 - administrators get access to all data for all applicants, and get write
   access to everything (which, specifically, lets them enter late applications
   as well as enter the results of the aforementioned scripts)

I hope this is mostly clear!
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #205:
Quantum dynamics are affecting the transistors