Re: Registration is now open for DebConf18, in Hsinchu, Taiwan

at bottom :-

On 19/03/2018, Mark Brown <broonie@debian.org> wrote:

<snipped>

> I was looking on the web site for information on the venue and
> especially the accomodation in order to help me decide which options to
> select during registration.  Unfortunately I couldn't see anything on
> the web site with information about these topics (and couldn't see the
> registration form as I need to sort out my Debian SSO stuff but that's
> another story).  On IRC Laura Arjona Reina pointed me at the Wiki which
> has some useful information but it'd be good if there were either a link or
> direct information on the site - there's a placeholder in About->About
> Debconf but nothing there.
>
> On a related note if there are any suggestions for nearby hotels for
> people who would prefer that it'd be good to have those on the web
> site/wiki, I guess the wiki might be good as it'd allow attendees going
> for hotels to coordinate.

Dear Mark,

There is only this info. I found
https://salsa.debian.org/debconf-team/public/websites/dc18/issues/31#note_17366

As per the issue, it needs to be still fleshed out . I remember at
least for Debconf 15, 16 and 17 all had pictures so people had an idea
of the onvenue accomodation.

I didn't look at hotels but hostels for post-debconf stay if things
panned out for me

I tried to look at hostelworld.com but couldn't find anything for
Hsinchu, Taiwan .

There are some properties listed at Taipei, Taichung, Hualien (this is
where the earthquake hit last year and from what I read on web, they
are giving discounted vouchers and such to tourists who would go
there.) , Changhua and Keelung but no hostels seem to be listed for
Hsinchu, Taiwan :(

There is also https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf18/Getting_Around
of getting to the venue but doesn't give anything in times.

For e.g.  https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf18/Getting_Around#How_to_get_to_the_venue

How to get to the venue

Method 0 (NT$165, US$5.6)

    Take 搭 Taoyuan Airport MRT 機場捷運 to 至 Taoyuan HSR Station 桃園高鐵站 (A18) (NT$35)
    Then take 再搭 HSR 高鐵 south to 南下至 Hsinchu (Chubei) HSR Station
新竹(竹北)高鐵站 (NT$130)
    Finally leaving Exit 4, if 最後出4號出口, 若
        Monday through Friday 週一至五 07:48, 09:18, 10:18, 12:18, 13:35,
16:15, 17:40
            Take 搭 NCTU Shuttle Bus 國立交通大學交通車 from Bus Platform 5
自5號公車月台 to the last stop 至末站 (NT$0). Then 再
            Walk to the conference building 步行至會場。
        Monday through Sunday 週一至日 07:15, 08:00, 08:45, 09:30, 10:10,
10:40, 11:30, 12:15, 12:40, 13:30, 14:15, 14:55, 15:30, 16:15, 16:45,
17:20, 18:05, 18:45, 19:30, 20:15, 21:20, 22:30
            Take 搭 182 bus 182公車 from Bus Platform 2 自2號公車月台 to Guo
Gou 至過溝 (NT$15) 。 Then 再
            Walk to the conference building 步行至會場。

1. It would be nicer and easier to have time estimates taken of
Taoyuan Airport MRT to Taoyuan HSR Station - how much time it takes
from MRT to HSR Station ? Is it a 24 hour operation or some restricted
to some hours ? Also how frequent is the service,  every half hour, an
hour or some times ?

2. Similarly how much would be the time travel journey for Taoyuan HSR
Station to Hsinchu (Chubei) HSR Station and again whether it is a 24
hr. operation or only some times ? Again how frequent the service is
or only at some times ?

There is also this
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/eastern-asia/taiwan/taiwan-safety-guide
which needs to be re-worded and put in the wiki as well.

Hopefully most of it will get fleshed out soonish so people can start
making plans for travel.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल