Re: [Debconf-team] Revision of DebConf CoC

Hey Holger,

thanks for the input, and taking the time to chat a bit about this
just now, during which we devised a possible improvement.

The point I think you're making is very acute. I think what you're
saying is that we can't/shouldn't ban all "offensive behaviour"
because we don't define what constitutes offensive behaviour.

And next, you provide a list of some of the things that offend you,
while making the point (I think) that this list surely doesn't apply
to everyone else.

Between those two arises the paradox: we can't ban something that we
can't define for everyone.

However, and of course this is my opinion only (though I'd be
surprised if we all disagreed much on this): we *do* want to make
sure that noone gets offended or made uncomfortable by others in the
periphery of one of our events.

There is always an element of "please assume best intentions" (as
put forth by the text), but we need to steer clear of putting the
onus on the receipient of a message: if someone has been offended or
made uncomfortable, then not much will be helped by saying "oh hey,
I didn't mean to hurt you, you should have used your better
judgement".

Nor will things improve if we expect people to "just deal with it"
(i.e. receiver-side).

Following our discussion, I've just made the following change:

  "Speak up if you notice [-offensive-] behaviour [+that leaves
  others uncomfortable or offended+], or inform the organisers."

i.e. the focus is now on whether an action makes others
uncomfortable, and we don't "ban" it per se, but we ask our
community to self-regulate.

You've indicated in privmsg that this constitutes an improvement in
your eyes.

What do others think?

https://storm.debian.net/grain/uPSk9gcndDPsYMRwBh5fKe

: :'  :  DebConf orga team