Re: [Debconf-team] Formal meeting: Wednesday 18:30 UTC: Delegation for DebConf

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 07:21:58PM +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Bernelle Verster <bernellev@gmail.com> [2015-11-16 00:56 +1300]:
> > My personal opinion is also, that these three proposals are pretty
> > much the same, and the only thing stopping them from converging is
> > ego.

And, the rest of the quote for context:

> It goes without saying that I find this whole thing exhausting, and I
> couldn't care how we solve this either way, as long as it goes away.
> Hopefully, by the end of the meeting on Wednesday, there is a plan to
> achieve this. My personal opinion is also, that these three proposals
> are pretty much the same, and the only thing stopping them from
> converging is ego. So swallow the ego - ALL of you, grow your
> big-person panties, find a way to make all three proposals fit into
> one, and by no later than Wednesday evening. And if I see one snarky
> reply going on the defensive I'm sending this whole thread to spam and
> you'll have to make do without me. I don't have time for this childish
> shit.

You are walking into the middle of a debate that has been raging for years.
While it seems exhausting (and it is, there's a reason I've been silent
through DC15 and up until now), this is how Debian works. For frustrations,
for bad, and for good - we debate. Sometimes we fight. But, we don't just
hurry with *any* decisions because it needs to be what's good for the
community, what's good for the OS, and what's good for the *future*. If this
is offending your time commitments, then I fear you haven't really evaluated
Debian, or DebConf, before you volunteered to lead the charge to host a
conference. The unfortunate news I have for you is if you don't have time
for *this*, just wait until the final countdown to DC16.

Now, for a dose of realism: what's likely to happen at the meeting tomorrow
is that there will be further discussion, then there *MIGHT* be a consensus
for a proposal to be taken to the DPL or Debian project at large for how to
handle the situation.  It may have to be referred to the mailing list for
further discussion (because sometimes people who are scattered around the
world can't make online meetings at certain times on certain days for
various reasons), and then eventually either through GR or DPL delegation,
we'll need to find a solution to the conference organization leadership
vortex that has developed.  Regardless, this is *not* a decision that will
be made tomorrow.  A general idea of what people who are currently working
on the current conference might arise, but that doesn't necessarily dictate
the groundwork for the future, which is a little more important than
appeasing your desire to not have to spamify this entire thread.

I'm actually pretty offended by the "big-person panties" comment. I find it
rude and unecessary and not at all an effective way to bring volunteers
together. I would advise if you want people, especially Debian Developers
and Maintainers, to support you and work with you, that you consider being a
little more constructive in your requests for constructive dialogue.

Since I'm pretty sure you know very little about me, let me assure you that
this was all said with no snark.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home;
you may not be sure of where you belong anymore.
But home is always there...  because home is not a place.
It's wherever your passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski