Re: [Debconf-team] On the "local team"

martin f krafft dijo [Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 04:12:51PM +0200]:
> > So what it is local team? I think many of us are helping bid
> > teams, giving opinions but trying to avoid the conflict of
> > interest, and givint true local the decisions [in spirit of this
> > mail], contrary of Martin work.
>
> The original e-mail explicitly purports a different spirit: that the
> "local team" (a bad name) is *not* just made up of "true locals",
> but a natural grouping of people supporting a bid/conference
> instance.

Umh... I disagree here, from my personal experience. In several cases,
I have acted as supportive to a given bid. In the case of DC12, I had
been pushing since 2009 (when I first travelled to Nicaragua for the
first Central American Free Software Encounter) for some country in
the region to present a DebConf bid. Of course, for the DC12 bid
presentations and decision I did act as a local, and didn't vote (as I
had a stake on the decision). But if I wasn't there on a day-to-day
basis, if I was unable to go to meetings with physical people, if I
didn't know the whereabouts and details on how to arrange for
$whatever, I wouldn't have considered myself a local.

Of course, we long tried to dillute the meaning of the "local team",
insisting on that they were basically "the locals" in the wide
organizing team. And yes, being ~2000Km away I was clearly not among
"the locals".

Of course, that's my personal experience. One data point. You are a
different data point. But I guess we have been through somewhat
comparable situations, hence this post.