Re: [Debconf-team] DC15 conf dinner budget extension

also sprach Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> [2015-05-07 14:46 +0200]:
> The Chairs, after listening the opinions of the team and after
> a lot of discussion, recommend the DPL to increase the DebConf
> budget by 4000 EUR for the conference dinner.

Thank you! I was able to schedule a call for tomorrow and will try
my best to half this number (no promises…). ;)

> Saying that, until better numbers (reconfirmation period or new
> commitment from sponsors) we cannot release further funds to
> Daytrip, transportation for conference dinner, or any other
> expense which was not already allocated in the approved budget.

I have two further questions:

1. Let's assume I manage to substantially drive down the price for
   the conference dinner, can I safely assume that I can re-allocate
   a portion of those freed funds to conference dinner
   transportation?

2. Could you please elaborate a bit on what "better numbers" you are
   waiting for, what effects these would have on the budget and how
   much more money from sponsors we would need?

> We still think the conference dinner is very expensive,

Please allow me to offer a different perspective. I've made this
point before in direct mails to the chairs but would like to share
it with the rest of the team too:

  - DC13 conf dinner was 53 CHF pp. (50.95 €)
    incl. 1 btl. water/table and coffee&tea, but no drinks
    transport was "included" due to day trip

  - DC14 conf dinner was 39 USD pp. (34.50 €)
    incl. some games but no drinks
    no transport was provided

So with a target of 35 € pp. incl. *all* drinks (5 € pp.
contribution required to consume alcohol) and no transport included,
the DC15 standard is in line with the two previous years.

Thank you,

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org