Re: [Debconf-team] Team Roles

Hi all

 On 12 de octubre de 2015 14:16:15 GMT+02:00, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
>also sprach Jonathan Carter <jcarter@linux.com> [2015-10-12 13:11
>+0200]:
>> Do I understand correctly that
>> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/LocalTeamRoles will no longer
>be
>> used?
>>
>> It looked really useful to me but there has been some who didn't
>> like it, if we're not going to use it then I'd rather remove the
>> page and the link to it from the mediawiki sidebar.
>
>I think it depends on what we want to use it for. It's useful as
>a directory linking tasks to people who at one point in time
>expressed an interest or claimed a competency regarding a task.
>
>The table is also an overview of (some of) the tasks that need
>doing, but it's incomplete and missing a lot of information, such as
>interdependencies, priorities, and deadlines.
>
>The timeline-based approach we tried so far goes a little into this
>direction. However, a timeline on the wiki when we already know we
>can expect delays and certain tasks depend on others isn't
>particularly useful (as it'll get outdated quickly).
>
>Maybe it's time that we investigate project management tools? This
>could be as simple as a Kanban, and as complex as a Gantt chart.
>
>Has anyone worked with such tools and recommend one we could
>install/try out? Maybe something Sandstorm-based? I am really
>interested in pursuing this angle (and could also imagine Odoo doing
>this), but at the moment, my DebConf time is being used up by tying
>up DC15 accounts.

There are two kanban app in Sandstorm. I'm far from the keyboard now, but I'll create both documents in storm.debian.net and will send here the share URLs (fancy deb.li ) in a few hours ;)

But!! I never used kanban and have no idea about it (apart from being this coloured stickers thing for management). I just want to help providing a free software based infrastructure for the system people needs. If it does not fit, move to trash.

>Once we have this "glue" documenting the process, then indexing to
>the wiki for task descriptions (and to amass "institutional
>knowledge" about a task) and also team member profiles would be
>really useful, IMHO.

I've copied my proposal-description about "Debconf Publicity" to the Wiki, my plan was to add it to the DebConf manual, and then create one more wiki page "debconf16 publicity" for the organization of this year. That dc16-publicity would be linked both from the general publiciy wiki page in the manual, and from the general timeline or tasks page from debconf16.

That was my idea, but I can adapt to whatever people chooses.

>So I wouldn't remove the page just now, but remove it from the
>sidebar and add a note at the top pointing to the timeline as
>authoritative source of information.

Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona