[Debconf-team] RT Spam problem and fix?

Currently the "sponsors" queue on rt.debconf.org, has a major SPAM
problem, in that SPAM outnumbers legitimate emails by at least
10-to-1. Keeping the queue clear is a very demoralizing process, and
discourages many from wanting to use RT. (sponsors@debconf.org is an
RT queue)

During DC15, the fundraising team met, and discussed the option of
removing RT from the loop. The discussion wasn't strongly conclusive,
but it ended with a sense that a working (no-SPAM) RT would be better
than no RT, and that alternatives like CiviCRM would require too much
work to maintain.

I spoke to RIchiH about anti-SPAM options, since I knew he used RT
elsewhere, and something was found that involves spamassasin.

I'm wondering at this point if people other than sponsors-team still
uses RT? If so, do they have problems with SPAM? Also does anyone have
time and inclination to work to implement an antispam filter on RT?

Thanks,
Brian